Friday, September 12, 2008

WTF Friday

I was listening to the radio news this afternoon, and two news items stood out to me enough to get a WTF.
To begin with. Kanye West. I love Kanye, I have his songs on my ipod, I know lyrics - it makes me feel edgy and urban and not iridescently white. (Go listen to "Homecoming" ft. Chris Martin... awesome!) Yesterday, Kanye was arrested for vandalism at LAX for attacking members of the paparazzi and smashing their camera equipment. Kanye!? WTF?? Here's the deal. I totally understand being pissed off at the paparazzi, I mean, I would be too if I had people constantly following me and taking my picture. But, getting into this business, you had to realize that there would be cameras everywhere, that's what fame is, right? And Kanye always struck me as someone intelligent, someone who would make smart-ass comments to the paparazzi rather than brutishly smashing their equipment. After all, the members of the paparazzi are just people trying to make a living and they are fulfilling a societal demand, right?
Secondly, there is a girl selling her virginity in order to pay for college. My WTF reaction goes two ways with the one. Firstly, WTF, isn't that prostitution? Secondly, WTF, why didn't I think of that? Kudos to her to being empowered by her sexuality and using it to her advantage. But at the same time, isn't it sad that this is what our society has come to? This girl has to turn her sexuality into a commodity in order to be able to afford a higher education. She is auctioning off an event that is supposed to be special, like someone auctioning off an old handbag that they don't want anymore. And there are people signing up for this!! Grown men really think it's okay to pay to take this girl's virginity so that she can go to school?? Sad. I can understand why, though, as someone who is about to graduate with over twenty thousand dollars of debt, it would be nice to have it all taken care of. Maybe this is a sign that our educational institutions and governments need to collaborate in order to make higher education less expensive and more accessible for average people.

No comments: